Saturday, January 18, 2014

So day three all I did was walk around and made a much needed trip to the grocery store and made the very comforting discovery that my Netflix account works here!! day 4 I had the pleasure of meeting my awesome flat mate Tuula, who is from Finland and who invited me to go with her and her friends to the bar.  It was then that i discovered that it was not only a 50min trek to school but also to any other location that I should desire to go but hey exercise is good! when we got to town she took me to two finnish bars ( the bars have student discounts hells yeah!)  so here i got to meet a lot of the local color including one drunken Fin who intercepted mine and Tuula's conversation to inform me that he was very disappointed with his trip to America where he was repulsed by seeing large people in the supermarkets getting around by way of scooters... I shook my head politely and agreed with him to avoid potential confrontation (after all he made a valid point).  But aside from that dude, most everyone else seemed to be both intrigued and excited by the fact that I was American and they were eager to know why I chose Finland as my study away location.  The second bar we went to was a rock bar named Marxx which was my favorite bar I have been to yet! its in the basement of a building and is covered in music posters and graffiti it reminded me a lot of places I have seen in NYC.  The DJ would only play rock music and in attempts to be in the spirit I requested some Nirvana (smells like teen spirt) which was well received.  by the end of the night (4am) I was starving and was introduced to a very cheap very good food stand where I scarfed down the best jalapeno burger I have ever had! by the time i trekked back to my flat it was 6am and i anticipated the next days events which included meeting my tutor and her other tutees.

No comments:

Post a Comment